The Automation Engineer is responsible for oversight of engineering projects including: programming modifications of instrumentation and hardware, troubleshooting of PLCs and HMIs, specification and procurement of new equipment, equipment installation and start-up. The Automation Engineer focuses on handling automation and electrical tasks as a member of the project team both professionally and working to meet customer expectations.
Responsibilities and Duties:
Located in King of Prussia, PA, and reporting to the Operations Director, East Coast, the engineer will be responsible to support and lead the automation engineering requirements for client projects.
- Design: medium and low voltage electrical distribution, architecture, control panels, networks, for controls and instrumentation systems;
- Responsible for engineering, project management, design and programming for automated manufacturing processes;
- Full-lifecycle project support, including system design, system engineering, programming, factory testing, commissioning, and validation;
- Integration of third-party control systems;
- Specification, design, procurement and acceptance of instrumentation, control panels, and power distribution to machine centers and processing skids;
- Prepare and GAMP documentation including URS, FS, HDS, IQ, OQ, and PQ. Prepare and execute validation;
- Implement and track specific equipment or systems modifications adhering to established change control procedures;
- Create and modify schematics with AutoCAD;
- Design of safety circuits and review of shop drawings;
- Prepare project cost estimates;
- Prepare and execute FAT and SAT protocols;
- Programming of PLC and operator interfaces (SCADAs & HMIs);
- Develop and establish technical specifications for process control systems including: instrumentation, control loops, automatic sequences, instrumentation, hardware and software design;
- Train client technicians to operate new control systems;
- Review project hardware/software for compliance with applicable codes and standards;
- Provide on-site process control system support during construction through validation;
- Collaborate with remote team members;
- BS degree in Electrical Engineering or Computer Engineering;
- 3 to 5 years of progressive experience;
- Programming: Allen-Bradley Studio 5000 & FactoryTalk SE/ME, Siemens STEP 7 (Ladder Logic)
- Control Hardware: Allen-Bradley/Siemens/Emerson/ABB PLC, HMI, or DCS hardware;
- Instrumentation Hardware: Experience with common process instruments (flow, level, temperature, analytical);
- Strong leadership, relationship management, and organizational planning and project management skills, in addition to technical knowledge;
- Ability to exercise independent judgment in methods, techniques and evaluation criteria for obtaining results;
- Knowledge of post-implementation continuous improvement efforts and methodology;
- Ability to influence clients, suppliers and peers into adopting “best practices” in the engineering field;
- Excellent communication skills – verbal, written, listening and interpersonal with the ability to transfer knowledge to others;
- Capability to engage and energize others to reach their fullest potential and performance;
- Familiarity with Lean Manufacturing/Six Sigma;
- Versatility in disciplines other than the one academically trained for is highly desired;
- Proficiency in using the Microsoft Office Suite;
- Flexibility to travel to external manufacturing sites as needed.
Travel is expected for this position.
To learn more about Laporte Consultants, please visit http://laporteconsultants.com
N.B. It is mandatory that you reference “Automation Engineer – King of Prussia, PA” in the Position field below.