Fermentation Engineer – Rochester, NY
Laporte Consultants is looking for a highly technical Fermentation Process Engineer with experience in fermentation, filtration, and manufacturing plants to support our team in the US.
The ideal candidate will have at least 5 years of experience in the design, operation, and/or construction of industrial processes within the biotechnology or food & beverage industries. This is an upper-intermediate to senior-level engineering role.
Responsibilities and Duties:
- Support and lead the engineering of processes for client projects involving fermentation and downstream recovery operations (including centrifugation, membrane filtration, extraction, and chromatography)
- Develop preliminary and detailed designs, drawings, and specifications such as PFDs, P&IDs, mass and heat balances, etc.
- Critically review engineering designs, test plans, and assess risks
- Ensure that projects are implemented in accordance with the agreed scope and timelines and make relevant recommendations to the client
- Work collaboratively as part of multi-disciplinary design teams
- Chair project team meetings and provide technical direction
- Manage timely completion of tasks per plan without direct supervision
- Provide discipline specific input for bid packages and tenders
- Suggest, contribute, and champion initiatives to improve the Engineering Department’s operations and procedures
- Support positive client interactions and sub-consultant interface
- Perform data analysis, prepare technical reports, SOPs, and internal and external presentations
- Pursue opportunities for business development and future growth of the organization across various local geographies
- A degree in Chemical Engineering, Biochemical Engineering, Mechanical Engineering, Industrial Engineering or related fields
- Minimum 5 years of progressive experience in process design for plants in biotechnology, food & beverage, or other bioindustries.
- Experience in the design of fermentation processes (anaerobic and aerobic, batch and continuous systems) including upstream media preparation (batch tanks, UHT/HTST) and CIP/SIP systems
- Experience in the design of downstream processes including membrane filtration, centrifugation, and extraction
- Flexibility to travel to external manufacturing sites as needed
- Familiarity with industry practices for hygienic design of piping systems and equipment (for example: ASME BPE, 3-A, and EHEDG) including CIP and SIP design
- Ability to exercise independent judgment in methods, techniques, and evaluation criteria for obtaining results
- Proof of COVID-19 vaccination
- Process modeling experience (i.e. SuperPro, SchedulePro, ASPEN Plus)
- Previous experience in the start-up and commissioning of commercial plants
- Strong leadership, relationship management, and organizational planning and project management skills, in addition to technical knowledge
- Knowledge of regulatory compliance requirements (FDA, ICH Guidelines, ISPE, and best industrial practices)
Come join a company that is currently expanding across multiple geographic areas in North America – both Canada and the US. Laporte offers a competitive salary, compensatory PTO for hours worked above forty per week, extensive benefits and an environment that promotes work-life balance and professional growth.
Job Type: Full-time
Travel required: 10-20%