Fermentation Process Engineer – Remote
Laporte Consultants is looking for a highly technical Fermentation Process Engineer with experience in fermentation, filtration, and manufacturing plants to support our team in the US. This role is intended to be remote from anywhere within the US.
The ideal candidate will have at least 5 years of experience in the design, operation, and/or construction of industrial processes within the biotechnology or food & beverage industries. This is an upper-intermediate to senior-level engineering role.
Responsibilities and Duties:
- Support and lead the engineering of processes for client projects involving fermentation and downstream recovery operations (including centrifugation, membrane filtration, extraction, and chromatography)
- Develop preliminary and detailed designs, drawings, and specifications such as PFDs, P&IDs, mass and heat balances, etc.
- Critically review engineering designs, test plans, and assess risks
- Ensure that projects are implemented in accordance with the agreed scope and timelines and make relevant recommendations to the client
- Work collaboratively as part of multi-disciplinary design teams
- Chair project team meetings and provide technical direction
- Manage timely completion of tasks per plan without direct supervision
- Provide discipline specific input for bid packages and tenders
- Suggest, contribute, and champion initiatives to improve the Engineering Department’s operations and procedures
- Support positive client interactions and sub-consultant interface
- Perform data analysis, prepare technical reports, SOPs, and internal and external presentations
- Pursue opportunities for business development and future growth of the organization across various local geographies
- A degree in Chemical Engineering, Biochemical Engineering, Mechanical Engineering, Industrial Engineering, or related fields
- Minimum 5 years of progressive experience in process design for plants in biotechnology, food & beverage, or other bioindustries
- Experience in the design of fermentation processes (anaerobic and aerobic, batch and continuous systems) including upstream media preparation (batch tanks, UHT/HTST) and CIP/SIP systems
- Experience in the design of downstream processes including membrane filtration, centrifugation, and extraction
- Flexibility to travel to external manufacturing sites as needed
- Familiarity with industry practices for hygienic design of piping systems and equipment (for example: ASME BPE, 3-A, and EHEDG) including CIP and SIP design
- Ability to exercise independent judgment in methods, techniques, and evaluation criteria for obtaining results
- Proof of COVID-19 vaccination
- Process modeling experience (i.e. SuperPro, SchedulePro, ASPEN Plus)
- Previous experience in the start-up and commissioning of commercial plants
- Strong leadership, relationship management, and organizational planning and project management skills, in addition to technical knowledge
- Knowledge of regulatory compliance requirements (FDA, ICH Guidelines, ISPE, and best industrial practices)
Come join a company that is currently expanding across multiple geographic areas in North America – both Canada and the US. Laporte offers a competitive salary, compensatory PTO for hours worked above forty per week, extensive benefits and an environment that promotes work-life balance and professional growth.
Job Type: Full-time
Travel required: 10-20%