Junior Biopharma Process Engineer
The Junior process engineer is responsible for performing various projects for pharmaceutical and biopharmaceutical clients as well as developing processes to ensure quality, cost and efficiency requirements are met. The process engineer will also serve as a resource and expert to the process engineering team. This position works closely with other discipline team members and external clients in designing systems, troubleshooting problems with production, taking corrective actions, and building relationships with clients and other stakeholders. Qualified candidates need a minimum of 3 years of experience in an engineering role within the biotech/pharmaceutical industry. Previous process design experience is preferred.
Responsibilities and Duties:
Located in the Greater Toronto Area and reporting to the Lead Process Engineer, the Junior Process Engineer will support the process engineering team for client projects, including:
- Collects process data, client requirements, and develops project scope and requirements.
- Under the supervision of Sr Process Engineer:
- Develops conceptual, preliminary, and detailed designs, calculations, drawings, and specifications.
- Creates block flow diagrams, PFDs, P&IDs, and Layout drawings.
- Write process & equipment specification documents for vendor and client packages.
- Performs capacity simulation and analysis for process and clean utility areas.
- Prepares project schedules, scope statements, and budget estimations.
- Ensures that projects are implemented in accordance with the agreed scope and timelines and makes relevant recommendations to the client.
- Works collaboratively as part of multi-disciplinary design teams.
- Suggests, contributes, and champions initiatives to improve the Engineering Department’s operations and procedures.
- Supports positive client interactions and sub-consultant interface.
- Performs data analysis, prepares technical reports, SOPs, and internal and external presentations.
- Sc. or M.Sc. Degree in Chemical Engineering, Biochemical Engineering, Mechanical Engineering, Industrial Engineering, or related fields.
- 3+ years of progressive process engineering experience in the biotech/pharmaceutical industry.
- Experience in the design of fluid and bulk materials handling processes including preparation of process flow diagrams, heat and material balances and P&IDs,
- Knowledge about unit operations within pharma/biopharma industries including fermentation, purification, formulation, clean utilities, biological confinement considered an asset.
- Familiarity with pharmaceutical regulations (FDA, ICH Guidelines, ISPE, and best industrial practices) considered an asset.
- Knowledge about current industry standards for the design and construction of pharma and biopharma facilities, such as ASME BPE and ISPE Guidelines considered an asset.
- Experience in the design of sanitary process systems including piping, vessels, and CIP/SIP systems considered an asset.
- Able to work on multiple projects and meeting timelines in a fast-paced environment. Proven problem-solving abilities.
- Experience with MS Office products especially Word, Visio and Excel required.
- Experience of working with drawing tools such as AutoCad.
- Flexibility to travel to external manufacturing sites as needed.