Senior Automation Engineer – Toronto, ON.
Senior Automation Engineer – Toronto, ON
Position Summary :
This position is responsible for oversight of on-site engineering projects including: equipment design and/or specification, engineering support for trades, troubleshooting of control system hardware and software, preliminary and detailed design of automation and electrical systems, specification, supporting procurement of new equipment, overseeing equipment installation, and supporting commissioning.
The Automation Engineer focuses on handling automation and electrical tasks as a member of the project team both professionally and working to meet client expectations.
This role will typically require local travel to nearby plants, depending on the assignment.
Responsibilities and Duties :
This role is a hybrid role based in our Toronto office. The engineer will be responsible to support and lead the automation & electrical engineering requirements for client projects.
- Design automation systems, control panels, IT/OT and fieldbus networks, electrical distribution modifications, equipment specification;
- Responsible for engineering, project management, design, and programming for automated manufacturing processes;
- Full-lifecycle project support, including system design, troubleshooting, system engineering, programming, factory testing, commissioning, and validation;
- Integration of third-party control systems;
- Specification, design, procurement and acceptance of instrumentation, control panels, and power distribution to machine centers and processing skids;
- Create and modify schematics with AutoCAD;
- Prepare documentation for EI&C bids and construction;
- Design of safety circuits;
- Review of shop drawings;
- Prepare project cost estimates;
- Prepare and execute FAT and SAT protocols;
- Develop and establish technical specifications for process control systems including: instrumentation, control loops, automatic sequences, instrumentation, hardware and software design;
- Train client technicians to operate new control systems;
- Review project hardware/software for compliance with applicable codes and standards;
- Provide on-site process control system support during construction through validation;
- Collaborate with remote team members.
- BS and/or MS degree in Electrical, or automation Engineering fields;
- 3 plus years of progressive experience;
- Programming: Allen-Bradley Studio 5000 & FactoryTalk SE/ME, Siemens STEP 7 (Ladder Logic);
- Networking: Ethernet-based IT/OT network design, configuration;
- Control Hardware: Allen-Bradley/Siemens/Emerson/ABB PLC, HMI, or DCS hardware
- Instrumentation Hardware: Experience with common process instruments (flow, level, temperature, analytical);
- Strong leadership, relationship management, and organizational planning and project management skills, in addition to technical knowledge;
- Ability to exercise independent judgment in methods, techniques and evaluation criteria for obtaining results;
- Knowledge of post-implementation continuous improvement efforts and methodology;
- Ability to influence clients, suppliers and peers into adopting « best practices » in the engineering field;
- Excellent communication skills – verbal, written, listening and interpersonal with the ability to transfer knowledge to others;
- Capability to engage and energize others to reach their fullest potential and performance;
- Proficiency in using the Microsoft Office Suite;
- Flexibility to travel to external manufacturing sites as needed roughly 10-20% of the time.
Come join a company that is currently expanding across multiple geographic areas in North America , Europe and North Africa.
Laporte offers a competitive salary and benefits and an environment that promotes work-life balance and professional growth.
Please send your CV to firstname.lastname@example.org
Please note that only selected candidates will be contacted.