Senior Controls Engineer
We’re seeking an experienced controls engineer to join our expanding team and contribute to the design and management of automation projects in the pharmaceutical and food & beverage industries. In this role, you’ll be responsible for project support, including design, specification development, and procurement assistance. The position offers remote work flexibility with occasional travel to client sites. Join us for a competitive salary, compensatory PTO, comprehensive benefits, and a supportive work environment that emphasizes professional growth and work-life balance.
Responsibilities and Duties:
- Lead and support automation engineering requirements for client projects.
- Manage automation design projects, including I/O list development, equipment specification, control panel specification, control panel design, network design, process narratives, and software specification/programming.
- Oversee process automation design aspects, typically beginning with process or packaging applications illustrated on P&IDs and resulting in construction packages illustrating control panel designs and scope of work for electrical installation contractors and/or systems integrators.
- Collaborate with project teams and supervise and mentor team members.
- Execute full lifecycle project support, including system design, troubleshooting, testing, and commissioning.
- Conduct site surveys and provide on-site support during installation.
- Ensure compliance with codes (UL508A, NEC) and standards.
- Join us and contribute to a diverse range of projects while developing your engineering skills and taking on project management responsibilities.
- Education: BS degree in Electrical Engineering or Electrical Engineering Technology (EIT preferred, PE preferred/optional)
- Experience: 6-15 years of experience in manufacturing or consulting environments.
- Ability to manage medium-scale automation projects, including client coordination, automation / controls system design, and bid package preparation.
- Control Panel Design: Sizing and specifying equipment, conductors, and selecting components based on Laporte or Client standards within the requirements of the project.
- Network Design: Sizing and specifying equipment, cables, and selecting components based on Laporte or Client standards within the requirements of the project.
- Programming: Ability to program common industrial controls platforms including Rockwell Software (Allen-Bradley) Suite of applications. Typical projects include Allen-Bradley PLCs (CompactLogix, ControlLogix, GuardLogix) and FactoryTalk View SE/ME but may also include Wonderware, RS Batch, FT Historian, 3rd Party Historians, OPC Servers, etc.
- Strong leadership, relationship management, organizational planning, and project management skills.
- Ability to influence clients, suppliers, and peers to adopt engineering “best practices.”
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office Suite.
- Familiarity or experience with AutoCAD, AutoCAD Electrical a plus.
- Flexibility to travel to external manufacturing sites primarily for surveys and meetings (10-20% travel).